Numerous Spilman lawyers have held elected and appointed positions within legislatures and state and local government, equipping the firm with the experience and insight to effectively assist our clients. The firm continues to maintain strong contacts and access within these entities, and this is the key to a successful government relations practice.
Our government relations practice includes large and small businesses, manufacturers, the insurance industry, state and national insurance trade associations, the state association of health maintenance organizations, hospitals, mineral extractive industries, solid waste facility developers, the cable television industry and commercial motor carriers.
The firm’s work with these varied clients includes administrative, communications, economic development, employment, energy, environmental, health care, insurance, motor carrier, natural resources, pension, regulatory, taxation, utility and work force training law.
Key legislative services the firm provides are:
- Evaluating client-specific issues and needs
- Drafting and facilitating the introduction of legislation
- Analyzing legislation and advising clients of potential impact
- Advocating, opposing, monitoring and amending legislation
- Drafting and providing testimony on legislation
Other government relations services we provide include:
- Facilitating government support of business and industrial locations and expansions
- Aiding clients with applications for grants and low interest loans
- Assisting clients with obtaining approvals, authority, consents, licenses, permits, rights and waivers
- Representing clients before administrative bodies
- Drafting and promoting administrative rules and regulations
Successfully representing clients before the various branches, agencies, departments, divisions and subdivisions of state and local government requires a unique combination of knowledge, contacts and experience. All of which Spilman attorneys possess.